Yale-NUS Symposium on Film and Painting hosted by Brigitte Peucker, Elias Leavenworth Professor of German and Professor of Film and Media Studies at Yale University
- 9:45 - Welcome, Pericles Lewis, President, Yale-NUS College; Introductions, Brigitte Peucker
- 10:00-10:45 - Steven Jacobs (PhD, University of Ghent) is an art historian who specialises in the relations between film and the visual arts. He is a professor in the Department of Art History, University of Ghent, Belgium.
Talk: “Noir Art: Painted Portraits in Noir Thrillers and Gothic Melodramas of the 1940s and 1950s.”
- 11:00-11:45 - Brigitte Peucker (PhD, Yale University) is a Professor of Film and Media Studies, Yale University, and one of the founders of the Yale Film Studies Program, which she chaired for many years.
Talk: “Effacement: Color, Modernism and the Female Body"
- 12:00-13:30 - Lunch Break
- 13:30-14:15 - Victor Fan (Joint PhD from Film Studies and Comparative Literature, Yale University; MFA in Film and Television Production, School of Cinema and Television, USC) is a Lecturer at the Department of Film Studies, King’s College, London, and a Film Consultant to the Chinese Visual Festival.
Talk: “Fey Mou: The Presence of an Absence”
- 14:30-15:15 - Susan Felleman (PhD, Graduate Center of the City University of New York) is Professor of Art History and Film and Media Studies at the University of South Carolina, USA. Her research and teaching concentrate on relations between art and media, including their theorizations of psychological and social relations.
Talk: ‘"Something about abstraction that we may not want to know": liquid color and feminine sexuality in An Unmarried Woman’
- 15:30-16:00 Coffee and Tea Break
- 16:00-16:45 - Richard I. Suchenski (Joint Ph.D., Film Studies and History of Art, Yale University) is the Founder and Director of the Center for Moving Image Arts (CMIA) and Assistant Professor of Film and Electronic Arts at Bard College. He has brought the retrospective of Hou’s films to the Singapore Museum.
Talk: "Also like Life: the Films of Hou Hsiao-hsien"
- 17:00-18:00 - Reception for speakers and audience
- Title was changed to "Yale-NUS Symposium on Film and Painting hosted by Brigitte Peucker, Elias Leavenworth Professor of German and Professor of Film and Media Studies at Yale University". Diff 2016-02-12 02:56:27
9:30 AM - 6:00 PM SGT
- Performance Hall, Yale-NUS College, 18 College Avenue West 138528
Yale-NUS College FULL NUS FULL Public FULL
- Venue Address
- 18 College Avenue West 138528 Singapore
The Performance Hall is located at the main entrance to the College just next to the oculus and collecting pool. If you plan to drive, please park at the Stephen Riady Centre, walk out to College Avenue West, and continue up the street a short distance.
Yale-NUS College2,138 Followers